with one of our professional surgeons, in a safe hospital environment.
Contact the team
We’d like to hear from you. There are many ways to get in touch with St Paul’s Laser Vision.
Book a FREE consultation
Frequently asked questions
Here are our top 5 frequently asked questions about laser eye surgery.
- It is important recognise that the healing process can vary from person to person and from eye to eye. Therefore, below table only give a guidance of expected average recovery time and time off work.
- Returning to work depends on your occupation. Our consultant surgeon will be able to give you more personalised advice during the consultation as required
- You will be advised when it is safe for you to drive but as a general rule, it is safe to drive one day after LASIK and 3-5 days after PRK as long as you can see the number plate from 20.5 meter and your level of vision is 6/12 or better.
|LASIK||PRK/TransPRKLens surgery||Lens surgery|
|Expected visual recovery||1 day||3-5 days||1 day|
|Recommended time off work||1 day||3-5 days||1 day|
You should not feel any pain during the procedure as your eye will be numbed with an eye drop. Most people report feeling some pressure on the eye which can be a strange sensation. This will last only for a few seconds.
You must be at least 18 years old before surgery. There is no real upper limit for laser eye surgery as long as your eyes are healthy. However, older people (especially over 60 years old) can get naturally occurring cataract and therefore may be more suitable for refractive lens exchange.
The actual laser will be active only for a few seconds. The full procedure will be finished within minutes.
- Avoid any rigorous activity for about one month
- Below table gives some recommendations on resuming different activities but your consultant surgeon may give you personalised advice depending on your individual circumstances
|Jogging, aerobic excursive, Yoga and pilates||1 week||1 week||1 month|
|Weight lifting||2 weeks||2 weeks||1 month|
|Swimming, sauna, steam room and football||1 month||1 month||1 month|
|Skiing, snowboarding, tennis, squash and cricket||6 weeks||6 weeks||6 weeks|
|Rugby and Martial Arts||3 months||6 weeks||6 weeks|
|Deep scuba diving||3 months||3 months||3 months|